Sunday, July 19, 2009

Why not?!

It's only been 3 months... time flies!
We are getting ready for another life changing experience around our home. We will be hosting an exchange student from Quatar for the upcoming school year. Nothing says clean and gut the closets like someone coming for an extended stay in your home. I am talking underbed, top of closet, every outdated school paper, rock, project that doesn't grab my mother's heart is hitting the chopping block of garbage. I saw today that an average american produces around 4.5 pounds of garbage per day - I am over the quota for sure and will be until August 8th.
This has been along time coming - the cleaning, not the student.

Our student is named Ali and he is 15 and will be going to Jordan with Aaron for the school year. I don't have a ton of facts yet, still waiting for the more in depth paperwork. I have always had this on my list of things to do, I was an exchange student myself when I was 16. I spent the summer in Argentina and it was wonderful.
Do you ever have experiences that are so random that you know they are given to you for a reason? This is one of them. It was so random how we were contacted about this student. The original host family backed out last minute so the hunt was on for a host family... can you imagine making those calls? Er, hello? I need to ask if you are interested in taking in a student for the school year - feed him and give him a great experience? Like I said, it was such an interesting call that it just felt immediately right. It took Randy a couple of weeks to "get his head around it", he asked all the good questions that I completely didn't think about. Sometimes my heart races ahead of my head!

Interesting stuff. Never dull around here.

3 comments:

Cami said...

nice to see you back in the blogosphere again...life is busy isn't it?

Angelfish said...

Hey Amy! - that sounds like a wonderful thing that you guys can do - how does Haley feel about getting "another" big boy in the house? we are looking forward to seeing her next week! (when she comes home, check her secret backpack pockets for a smuggled kitten!)

Spin said...

we did this last year with a student from Norway. Proved eventful and interesting but definitely felt like the right thing to do