Saturday, January 10, 2009

A question I have thought about

This is a quote from the lesson I am helping to teach tomorrow in Relief Society. I have thought long about the question at the end... I hope to have a good discussion and hear what others think about it.

The parable of the sower shows the effects of preaching the gospel; it also shows that the Savior established His kingdom in the meridian of time.
“But listen to the explanation of the parable of the Sower: ‘When any one heareth the word of the Kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart.’ Now mark the expression—that which was sown in his heart. ‘This is he which receiveth seed by the way side.’ [Matthew 13:19.] Men who have no principle of righteousness in themselves, and whose hearts are full of iniquity, and have no desire for the principles of truth, do not understand the word of truth when they hear it. The devil taketh away the word of truth out of their hearts, because there is no desire for righteousness in them." (Joseph Smith)

Why do some people have a “principle of righteousness in themselves,” and others don’t? If someone doesn’t have a desire for truth, is there a way to develop such a desire?

3 comments:

J.E. said...

Very interesting! This is something I sat and pondered for a while before actually clicking to make a comment... Thank you.

Janelle Beenfield said...

Oh I wish I was there to be in this discussion but we have a farewell to go to. That man that I work next to that has been talking to me alot about the church is very much like this. He doesnt think he needs to know the truth and participate in a church. Oh I wish I could be there.

Emily Anne Leyland ( Art-n-Sewl) said...

Yay!!! I found you :)

Sure miss you my friend!