Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Grandma Kola is dying...

It has been a sad few days around here. Patch's very old - well she has lived at our house for almost 3 years - and very loved hamster Kola is slowly (very) dying. I wanted Spice man to check this morning to see if she had passed, but no, when gently jiggled, she is still breathing. This has been hard for Patch to watch and she has shed many, many tears during this death watch. We have also had many good conversations about a loving Heavenly Father and his creations for us to love and enjoy. There is a place in heaven for beloved pets. Many tender prayers have been given during this week by my daughter. I am strengthened by her simple faith in a Father who hears and answers ALL prayers.

I can't imagine a more loved hamster than Grandma Kola. She grew happpily plump on the many treats that were left for her in her cage. She took many mini vacations around our house in her ball. She has a fun cage and was able to reside in Spice man's office (that is love!) where she was able to be loved more frequently by Patch and her friends. With the death of her first hamster and now the pending death of Grandma Kola, Patch has decided that she is moving out of the hamster pet business. She said it is too hard to have them die so quickly.

I fear an era is coming to a close and my youngest is growing up in an almost indiscernable way. Who else loves to skip through Pet Smart and lovingly gaze and wish for every kind of creature they house there?

3 comments:

Angelfish said...

wow. Our hearts are with you and Patch. Pet deaths--one of my least favorite parts of parenting. We lost a guinea pig while at the beach. That was a tough one. Hang in there!

J.E. said...

So sorry to hear about Kola, I wonder if I am typing this, if she is still with us? I'm so sorry we couldn't make it last night. I got home too late from being out of town and was very dissapointed to miss it. I heard it was really nice though!

Amy said...

Yes, the hamster did pass away. It was very sad for Patch, many, many tears! She called Kylea and then Dad to tell them both about it. She had been asking in her prayers for Kola to not suffer so after the tears she realized that her little prayer was answered and she felt better.
Pet deaths are hard!