Sunday, August 3, 2008

Glad the day is over

Whew, finished teaching a Relief Society lesson today. I feel drained now and mentally 10 lbs. lighter. Tomorrow I will be able to pick up my life where I dropped it in preparation for this lesson (although Saturday evening I was making a batch of apricot jam knowing those apricots were no going to stay good until Monday).


The lesson was called "Living a Christ-Centered Life". This is something that I think about a lot, those refining points of the gospel that can, at times, be tough to hold onto during the week when life is coming at you with both guns blazing. Isn't it true how the teacher always seems to gain the most from the lesson? I did.



Some of my favorite thoughts and quotes...



For most of us, trying to be Christlike is a lifelong process and comes "line upon line, precept upon precept"

At any point in time the changes are almost imperceptible; indeed, many of us worry we are not becoming more Christlike even though we are.


2 Nephi 31:18-21


"Christ knows us and is the source of the Spirit’s promptings. He knows how to help us become Christlike. He knows if the lesson needs to be on faith or love or patience or diligence. The Savior’s power is also sufficient to help us grow from grace to grace and to receive grace for grace until we become perfect in Him." (Elder Bateman, 99)


"To follow Christ is to become more like Him. It is to learn from His character. As spirit children of our Heavenly Father, we do have the potential to incorporate Christlike attributes into our life and character. The Savior invites us to learn His gospel by living His teachings. To follow Him is to apply correct principles and then witness for ourselves the blessings that follow. This process is very complex and very simple at the same time. Ancient and modern prophets described it with three words: "Keep the commandments"—nothing more, nothing less." (Elder Uchtdorf, 95)


The test comes in practicing what we proclaim. The reality check comes when Christlike attributes need to become visible in our lives—as husband or wife, as father or mother, as son or daughter, in our friendships, in our employment, in our business, and in our recreation.

4 comments:

Cami said...

That's a nice cap to your lesson. It's good material for me to think about today as I officially dust off the last of my vacation and enter the real world.

Pedaling said...

great topic for a lesson. i too have been thinking of this topic much lately. i teach next month and have been debating on this a Christ centered Life or Raising children in this crazy world in which we live. i tend to gravitate toward lesson topics i am i need of the most help.

J.E. said...

Just reading your post left me with a good feeling. Great references. I wish I could have a little reminder to freshen up and keep those thoughts with me. You sound like you did a wonderful job with your lesson.

Angelfish said...

Thanks Amy! I missed Sunday's lesson, as I was driving across the country from New Mexico, moving Malorie and all her 'stuff' to North Carolina. I wasn't thinking of becoming more Christlike at the time - just hoping to keep it together and NOT becoming a raving lunatic. I will definitely need to research and refer to this lesson in the weeks to come....