Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Last Lecture




If you get the chance, read this book. The author, Professor Randy Pausch, died last Friday of pancreatic cancer. I have been following his story since I watched his last lecture that he gave a year ago after he received his diagnosis of cancer and was given 3-6 months to live. This book takes from that lecture plus more that he wanted to leave for his 3 young children to be a sort of "message in the bottle" that would come ashore in time to help them know who he was.


Tonight, ABC had a special about him and his life and family. It was wonderful and he talked (taped in April) about the importance of overcoming obstacles, of enabling the dreams of others, especially our children (I really liked how he said to let your kids paint their rooms as they want to and not to worry about resale value), and of seizing every moment.

At times I was overcome listening to him express his love for his wife and knowing now that he is gone and she is left to raise those young children without him. That has always been one of those experiences I hope I never signed on for (as if we could choose what they will be!), I don't know if I would have the strength to bear it with such acceptance and grace as she has. At one point he told Diane Sawyer that Hollywood couldn't make a movie of his life because there is not a Hollywood actress pretty enough to play the part of his wife.


Click here to view his last lecture.

2 comments:

J.E. said...

Thanks for the reference. Ky told me a little bit about it, she said she was reading it too. It's on my list, it sounds touching.

Pedaling said...

i've listened to him a bit and have always been impressed.