Sunday, May 25, 2008

Banana Cake with Caramel Icing

My mom has been in town and as is our family habit, we like to discuss recipes. I don't know why we do this, but I can remember her doing it with her mother and her sisters still do it when they get together, I do it with my sisters - it is in our blood. The Call Family cookbook invaribly comes out and she gets out her pen to star the really good recipes. We also looked through the current Rachel Ray magazine - Yum-o!
I still have left over blackening bananas from making banana bread so I ventured into making my Grandma Call's banana cake with caramel icing. Okay, this is very good and very, very sweet. You need this one. It is very similar to my friend Pedaling's recipe (click on her blog and look under recipes, there are a lot of good ones there) and now I know why it is their family favorite.

Banana Cake
Grandma Call's recipe

1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 cup mashed banana's (3)
1 cup nuts (optional)
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla, eggs and bananas. Add flour, salt, baking powder and milk. Add nuts. Spray 9x13 pan with pam. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool and frost.

Quick Caramel Icing
Grandma Call's recipe

1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 cups powdered sugar

Melt butter and add brown sugar. Boil for 2 minutes. Add milk and bring to a boil again. Take off of heat and cool. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat well.

I STILL have 5 blackened bananas but they must go into the freezer. This splurge of treat cooking is not good for me.

2 comments:

Kori said...

well, this sounds wonderful, but I wouldn't trust myself in the same room with it! Whenever I have extra bananas going south, I peel them, put them in ziploc bags and freeze. Then, when I want a smoothie (daily!) I throw one or two in a blender with other good stuff and whirrr... (and now I have tons of strawberries to throw in too! However, I will keep this recipe just in case....

Amy said...

Kori you need to try it someday! Ernie and lax boy who do not like cake ate this up! There were literally only crumbs left in the pan. It is that good. But, you are wise not to trust yourself in the same room, once you taste, you are sunk. That icing is really, really good!